January 17, 2008

Technology is Cheap

My absence of late is primarily due to network connection and modem issues, technical stuff that I semi-understand. All I know is that my old and usually reliable computer won't stay connected to the Internet for very long before it inexplicably hangs up. The tech support guy at our ISP diagnosed my problem as a modem gone bad. I don't know if I trust his diagnosis, but until I solve the problem I must suffer through an even more erratic Internet connection than usual.

The breakdown of technology - such is becoming the story of my life. In the past year, we have had the following items breakdown: one washer, one dryer, one dishwasher,
two coffeepots, two riding lawnmowers, a chainsaw, a car and a god-forsaken work van (whose presence I can't even acknowledge without cursing), a very expensive water softener, a laptop, and now a modem. Our telephone service, while not "broken" per se, does go out when there is a minor weather disturbance, sometimes for minutes but sometimes for days. And our satellite TV goes all berserk if there is even the slightest wind.

There are times when I feel like running away to an apartment in the city and buying all brand-new things with the promise of easy credit and ten-year warranties. But those moments usually pass quickly. I'd take spotty Internet service over morning traffic any day.

1 comment:

pseudo librarian said...

as i recall, it was two chainsaws!